The Whitefish Lake First Nation #459 (WLFN), situated in Atikameg, Alberta is currently seeking an experienced and qualified Economic & Business Development Advisor. This employment opportunity will involve assisting in furthering the economic and business development initiatives and aspirations of WLFN. WLFN is currently involved in the energy, forestry and retail business sectors and the successful candidate is expected to assist in enhancing the Nation’s involvement in these sectors through review, recommendations and implementation of strategies that will move towards business sustainability and profitability. The successful candidate is further expected to coordinate negotiations with Industry, government, and relevant stakeholders and work towards maximizing the economic benefits potential from the WLFN traditional territory and reserve lands.
• Review Nation owned entities and provided recommendations for increased revenues, profitability, provide analysis, restructure plans etc.
• Negotiate business development and benefits agreements with Industry operating within the traditional territory of WLFN #459.
• Assist with updating and providing recommendations on the business management and corporate structure of Nation owned entities that currently includes limited partnerships and business trusts.
• Assist with the finalization and Implementation of the WLFN 5-year Economic Development Strategy (in process).
• Work with government agencies (i.e., ISC, IOGC, etc.) industry and other stakeholders to identify viable opportunities that may exist on-reserve lands of WLFN and where it will increase economic benefits.
• Pursue joint ventures, partnerships, and other business relationships with potential partners as necessary and where it may increase benefits for WLFN.
• Work with federal and provincial government to access economic development programs and prepare applications and proposals as required
• Assist in establishing and sustaining positive and long-term relationships with industry, government, and other stakeholders.
• Provide advice and assist with band owned company operations as required.
• Assist with monthly, quarterly, and annual financial statements and reports on band owned companies.
• Assist in the recruitment of necessary personnel and mentor existing staff of Nation owned companies as required.
• Review and monitor existing business partners of WLFN and provide recommendations for improvement where necessary
Experience, Knowledge and Skills
To be discussed
Education and Qualifications
• Post-secondary education (Minimum degree or combination of post-secondary and
experience) in business or another related field is preferred.
• Minimum of 5 years experience in economic development and/or business management
• Excellent negotiation and facilitation skills.
• Excellent written and communication skills
• Proficient with computers and software (i.e., word, excel, power point, etc.)
• Related experience with First Nations organizations is desired
To be Discussed
Please submit resumes by email to: email@example.com
We thank all applicants in advance. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.